Monday, April 27, 2015

Not the Walk I Expected





Saturday night I wrote up a note about church here with every intention of taking some pictures of our walk the next morning and posting the whole thing. (I still haven’t figured out how I’m going to take pictures of the service. Kind of hard to do that discreetly!) However, it ended up raining all night and by the time we decided we were still going to try and go to church, I forgot about taking pictures.

Boy do I wish I had brought the camera! The girls wore their rain boots, Joey wore sturdy brown shoes, and I opted for my flip-flops. I figured they would be the easiest to clean. You see we don’t have a car here so we walk to church. Normally it is a 10-15 minute walk…add two little girls and it can take up to a half hour. However, the rain turned it into another trip entirely. Though, oddly enough, it didn’t increase our time!

We all did fine till we made it to the main flat road connecting the hospital area and the real main road. There the ground went from muddy to thick mud. We had been picking our way along the dirt road, choosing the driest routes. The girls were having a blast trudging along without a care in the world. I was having pretty good success keeping my footing. But then I hit a few foot step choices where the mud was deeper than I thought and up it came into my shoe! Two more steps and I knew we had a lost cause. The mud in the flip flop and the uneven road caused my foot to slide out of the shoe with each step. SO off came the first flip flop.

We kept going. I with one flip flop on and one flip flop in hand. Another half a block and I lost the other one to more thick, slippery, dark brown mud. So, off came the second shoe. As we continued on, I kept praying I wouldn’t step on anything sharp! By the time we made it up the hill to church my feet were invisible.

Between some nice patches of grass and a couple less muddy puddles of water, Joey and I got our feet and shoes cleaned up decently enough to go into church. Thankfully, someone offered us a ride home at the end. But I must say, it was a walk to church I won’t soon forget!

No comments: