Sunday, January 8, 2012

Rainy Season...17 days to go!

(This post I wrote in June, but I took these pictures on Dec. 28th, well into dry season. I guess it was a special birthday present from God!)

I don’t know whether it is rainy season or not. I seem to get a different answer from every person I ask. My favorite response so far is that you know it is rainy season when…it rains! So, it is raining right now. :-)

I love the rain here in Congo. It is amazing. Now you must understand, I’ve loved the rain everywhere we’ve lived. Whether in Washington where it comes down in a slow drizzle all day or in Chicago where it pours. I just love rain.

Here it is different. It is a drenching rain. It comes in waves, torrents, deluges. Waterfalls are instantly created as the water rushes off the roof and the walkway around our house becomes a raging stream. It’s amazing. I don’t mind that life has to come to a stand still. You can’t talk because the pounding is too loud on the tin roofs. The roads are often worse than giant slip-n-slides so driving is out of the question. Everyone takes cover in a storm so your guard or cleaning lady will be late to work for sure. However, none of this bothers me. It actually adds to the wonder of the downpour. Somehow this wall of water has caused everyone to stop and take notice.

~Kathleen

No comments: