Tuesday, December 1, 2009


Happy Thanksgiving (a little late)! I hope you all had a good day celebrating with family and/or friends. I must say, Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. Probably because I love spending time with my family (both sides) and I love to eat good food. :) It also seems to be a holiday uncluttered by other issues. It is just about thankfulness and enjoying those blessings.

We missed being with family this year. However, we did get to talk to both families during their Stateside gatherings. In some small way it made it feel like we got to share in those get-togethers too.

Thanksgiving isn't a holiday here and Joey flew for most of the day. He did make it back in time (barely) to welcome our guests. There was a total of nine of us. It was a great time with lots of conversation, laughter, and great food. We skipped the traditional turkey and had pork instead. We did, however, have all the normal sides: mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, roles, cranberry sauce, olives, and lots of pie (mince meat, pumpkin, apple, and mango--tasted just like peach)!

Sorry no other pictures. Our camera got left that evening in the airplane by mistake. The above picture was taken the following weekend. On Thanksgiving day I attempted to make ice cream with my Kitchen Aid mixer attachment. Had to make my own Half-'n-Half with powdered milk and run the generator to get enough power, but all was looking pretty good for a positive outcome. However, after an hour, it still had not set right and then we spilled half of it trying to get the bowl off the stand. So, it didn't make it to our Thanksgiving table, but after spending some time in the freezer the remains actually turned out not too bad! We will definitely try this again!

No comments: