Friday, May 15, 2015

Part 3 of 6 - Wednesday


I was scheduled to do the Entebbe flight today. Normally this flight is first thing in the morning, but today it was scheduled for the afternoon. Around mid-morning I walked up to the office to check on something. It was supposed to be a quick trip there and back. In the end it took about an hour. There was a group of school kids that had arrived to learn about safety around airplanes. One of the other pilots kindly volunteered me (I really didn't mind), and so I got to spend some time talking to the kids. We talked about the propeller, why it is dangerous, and what they can do to stay safe when they are near the airplane.

We also talked about how to be safe down by the runway. There is a path that crosses the runway at the half-way point. Most of the town is on one side of the runway, and the water source is on the other side. So everyday there are a lot of people needing to cross the runway. We talked about how the airplane flies directly overhead the runway right before landing, so when they see the airplane fly over then they know they need to not cross until after the airplane lands. They seemed to enjoy their visit to the airport, and hopefully they will pass on what they learned to their friends and family.

In the afternoon I did the Entebbe flight. One of our MAF families was on the flight. They were leaving for furlough. I also had one of the Banda passengers and Jean Claude from Tuesday's flight. He didn’t have any maggots/grubs with him today, though.

Remember the medevac I wrote about on April 3rd? (See “Medevac and Maintenance” post). The lady went back to Europe for a few weeks for recovery. And today she returned to Congo. It was great to see her again and see that she is recovering well.

No comments: